Potato Dumplings or Vada Pav as we Indians Call It

Perhaps the tastiest food considered by Maharashtrians is Vada Pav. It is a dumpling made of potatoes. People can't resist when they see the stall. I give it 5 stars on the spicy taste. On my way back from Mumbai yesterday, I realized again how important it is to eat this junk food to survive. People just rushed over to get their snatch when the train took it's halt at Karjat — the most famous Vada Pav selling place on the earth, believed to be cooking the tastiest Vada Pavs in the world. The demand is so high that the sellers have a uniform! You didn't get it, did you? Let me explain. There are innumerable sellers out there in Karjat who sell the taste. The biggest brand is Divadkar. They have so many employees/agents, that they have provided uniforms for identification. It's silly, but it works. People prefer to buy from the sellers that are in Divadkar's uniform!!! I don't know what happens to them. It's like throwing a ball when there's a dog beside. It's just that the people don't return it to the giver when they catch the ball.

One of the many selling fellas was this poor guy who couldn't run anywhere when I looked at him with an eye telling "I'm gonna catch you on my camera". He was simply standing on the rail tracks, just as many were. Have a look how cute he is…

The Vada Pav Agent, Selling Potato Dumplings or Vada Pav as we Indians Call It
The Vada Pav Agent, Selling Potato Dumplings or Vada Pav as we Indians Call It

7 comments:

  1. Hey! I just noticed something. His uniform matches my dressing! Look at my profile photo on the right…

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahhaa....ya right Bhavesh! Are you one of them who sells Vada Pav? Kidding yaar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, after reading your post I am anxious to eat that vada pav..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonder if there is Divadkar's vada-pav outlet in places other than Karjat. Wouldn't you say Maharashtrians the world over could do with a Divadkar outlet in their neighbourhood? With their brand image, and distinct taste, can an entrepreneur make it happen ?
    I recall having written something light-hearted about globalising maddur vada - http://mymysore500.blogspot.com/2006/05/globalise-maddur-vada.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want a vada pav now! I think I should do a post on it. It's not just Maharashtrians, but anyone who lives in Maharashtra gets addicted to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Bhavesh,
    i like ur photography.

    - umesh.
    www.umeshchaudhari.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Anonymous: Thank you Umesh :)

    ReplyDelete