Pune Visited by Super Thunderstorm Last Night [ढगफूटी]

I have never seen anything like this in my life. Belive me. What happened last night was beyond imagination of any Punekar [citizen of Pune]. It was what I believe called in local language as ढगफूटी [Dhagphooti] that literally means cloud bursting. The super loud sound of lightning gave a feeling as if the GOD is tearing off the huge dark clouds and the full water-content of the clouds is falling down in one go. The empty clouds vanished and the new dense clouds kept on coming and getting teared off. Living in the tallest residential apartment in our area, that too on the top floor, what I felt was the next lightning bolt is for me.

It was 3:30 in the morning. I was lost in deep sleep. Suddenly, an intense lightning flash filled my eyes with electric blue. My sleep vanished in a second. Before I could react, I heard a very loud sound of lightning. It was so loud that I had not heard anything louder than it in my life. The next second, I found myself sitting straight on my bed; it was an instant reaction. In the next 10 seconds, there were at least 3 lightning strikes. I was horrified, and suddenly felt what I have been realizing from my childhood — we are nothing in front of the nature, and if nature wishes, our living bodies can turn dead masses within a blink of an eye. I looked outside from my bedroom's large window and the scene way worse than any scene from those nature's-fury movies. The whole city had lost electricity. All the buildings were standing in darkness. The heavy clouds had covered the cityscape. Heavy rain was drenching everything. Intense lights from the lightning strikes were giving the heart-stopping split-second scenes of the dead-like city. This all lasted for about an hour.

After waking, the first discussion in home was the same topic. Nobody had felt anything like this in life in Pune. When I was driving to the office, the roads were covered in mud, the river-side road was very difficult to drive due to the layer of the mud. At office, all had that face with the same topic. Someone said that 2 trees fell near their home. I don't know how many in the city.

What we wondered at 3:30, at the breakfast time, and even at the office was what would have been the situation of the small lives like birds, cats, etc. We were in a concrete structure, but felt so much horror. What must have been their situation sleeping on tree branches?

Is this a glimpse of the future's extreme weather people are going to see in weather-wise well-balanced places like Pune also?


10 comments:

  1. Yes, very true. We human are smaller than ants that I realized when I was standing at 12,000 feet height. WE should respect nature always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a horrible night you must have had. Just so thankful you did not receive major damage or injury. One thing for sure, mother natures fury can be very frightening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very unsettling! Yes, it puts our size and strength in perspective to be in the midst of a powerful storm. I worry about the little animals, too, when bad weather rages. Luckily nature has given them valuable instincts to help bring them through such situations, but how many perish, I wonder?

    Glad you are safe. Living on the top floor practically painted a bullseye on you last night, but you made it through!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yep.. i heard about this..
    And yeah, even I worry what extreme weather our future generation is going to face

    ReplyDelete
  5. A living nightmare.
    Nature is the all powerful one ..we are just pawns in the cosmic game.
    Glad the worst was a bad experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds really frightening. Good nothing happended to you:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The violence of nature can indeed make us feel small and helpless. Sounds like a scary storm. I'm glad you're okay and hope the small creatures like birds and cats made it through also.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being from Africa I have also witnessed terrifying storms like the one you described. But what beauty! I absolutely love the drama and the terror and the beauty of a storm like that. I just want to go outside and get drenched and blinded and deaf from it all. May be a death wish??? Yes, it is sad about the animals in the wild, they only understand the terror of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So good to read such from you. I too enjoy the fury of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh , I do not like severe storms like that at all. I am so glad that you managed to make it through without serious damage. Somehow my dear Celeste I thought you would feel that way. So gentle and yet so vibrant and you also., Blavesh.

    ReplyDelete