In darkness

Seeing people walking in darkness is not a big deal in India, at least not in the rural parts where people are used to walking in darkness. The reason probably is that their farms are away from their homes. It gets dark by the time they return after hard work. The probability of walking in darkness increases in the winter season when the sun sets early. Amazing thing is that they are not afraid of wild animals!

I was on a 3 days vacation to the greens of Konkan last weekend. Our stay was near Gharadi village and Shedvai village. Click here to see the location of our forest lodge. Try zooming out in the map to get a broader view.

On the first day, when we were returning from sunset point in Anjarle to our forest lodge, we saw a man walking alone in darkness. It was so dark that the clusters of stars were in the maximum number I had ever seen. He was brave for sure as we had been informed about presence of tigers, leopards, hyenas, etc. in the area.

See him.

In darkness
In darkness
In darkness

I was a bit brave too as I stepped out of the car a couple of times to take photographs that were not possible to be recorded on pixels from inside the car. The feel outside the car was magical. I will share those photos in some future posts.

13 comments:

  1. Oh Gosh! That is really scary! How do these people dare to travel in such a darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This man sure is too brave. Just the thought of walking alone in such darkness is giving me goosebumps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the darkness - as long as I have means of light and protection. At least I am not afraid as long as I know there are no lions, tigers, hyenas, bears, alligators, crocodiles, poisonous frogs, yeesh! I think I like the daytime better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It became dark like that at my hostel at Uni at night... the stars were beautiful, but I wouldn't walk alone out there! (Although I'd be afraid of people as much as animals!) Wonderful photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. scary as well as interesting !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Yogesh: Really brave!

    @ Neha: I knew readers and viewers will have it. You proved me right :)

    @ Clytie: Oh nice one. Change of opinion :)

    @ Geeta: That must have been a great sight! You should have ventured out in a group. The beauty was worth seeing as I can imagine.

    @ Deepak Acharya: Righto man!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Bhavesh! Long time no see... How are you my friend?

    Nothing like being in the company of Tigers and Leopards to feel alive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ blog with no name: Ya, really a long time! I'm good. How are you? You're right; nothing like being in wilderness. It makes us realize that we are alive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting photo...
    Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Living in the mountains here the moon sheds so much light that it is possible to walk at night. Until now, I truly never knew that moonlight could illuminate.
    Nice shot of the man walking in the inky black of the night. With wild creatures around (as you described), I don't think that I would chance it though.
    lg

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Amin: Thank you! Happy New Year to you too.

    @ Louvregirl: Nice new information! I have actually driven a motorscooter in a forest area road in moonlight. The experience was not horrifying but pleasurable, maybe because I did not see any wild animal :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. At least the man is wearing white so he would be illuminated if a vehicle approaches on the road. I certainly would not be out walking in the dark, though, if there were wild animals in the area, not unless I had a gun or something and I were a good shot. Even around here, sometime, in broad daylight, joggers are attacked by mountain lions which is pretty scary. Sometimes, in drought condiions, they
    come down into more populated areas, looking
    for food!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ RNSANE: Oh ya, I have seen programs on Discovery channel and National Geographic channel about mountain lions. I'd love to face one, not as a fight or something wild, but to admire its beauty.

    ReplyDelete