Hairpin Turn

Have you ever driven your car or motorcycle on a mountain road, especially on a hairpin turn? It's such a great feeling I tell you. The feeling of driving on a hairpin turn is way too good driving a motorcycle than a car. If you have not yet, try driving your motorcycle on a hairpin turn. I bet you will come back on this page and will express your joy in the comments section below :)

In India, especially in the region I live in — the Western Ghats, mountain roads are bound to be driven on if you are going on a long drive. Coming across a hairpin turn is very normal. I have driven my Pulsar 180 on many mountain roads with hairpin turn. The most pleasurable hairpin turn is in Kashedi Ghat in Ratnagiri district of Konkan area. It has fantastic scenic view at the twist of the hairpin turn.

The below hairpin turn was photographed on way to Bhimashankar.

Hairpin Turn
Hairpin Turn
Hairpin Turn

A very tricky hairpin turn I remember is on Sinhgadh. It is the last turn to reach the parking lot. The hairpin turn of Sinhgadh is so demanding of driving skills that novice drivers sometimes lose control and start moving backwards, which is extremely dangerous.

Another interesting hairpin turn comes across while driving up Matheran. It is also very tricky as the signboard just before the turn suggests — "First gear only".

I guess you liked the above photo of hairpin turn.

8 comments:

  1. I can't say I've experienced any of those... but maybe I will while I'm here this time! My family came across plenty when they were in the mountains of Columbia.. I have a feeling it's quite a.. um heart-quickening experience, especially if there's nothing between you and the mountain edge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Geeta: It really is. But it must be enjoyed :) of course, with safety!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be fun in a sidecar too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Thérèse: Oh ya; I didn't think of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't ride a motorcycle so cannot experience that first hand, but I used to get goosebumps when our taxi took those turns on way to my boarding school in Mussoorie. These still scare me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Neha: Hairpin turn is not scary at all, Neha! In fact, it's enjoyable. It's all in our mind. Try it :)

    ReplyDelete