Dragonfly

Dragonfly

These are amazing creatures, have you ever noticed? They have 4, transparent, super-thin, delicate wings. But these insects use them in such a great way that their flight is amongst the most perfectly controlled in all the flying creatures!

I remember, when I was a child, we used to call these as Helicopters! Its native name is Patanga [पतंगा]. Do you have any specific memories with these? Or any local names? Or anything relating to this highly-engineered insect?

And oh yes, I almost forgot to mention where I found this wonder. We were on our way to a beautiful place named Varandha Ghat. As it's far from my home, considering that we always travel on my motorbike, we usually take short breaks of 10-15 minutes to relax from the driving strain. We took a halt on midway, about 50 kilometers from our home, and were looking for something to frame. Wind was blowing very fast and this biological machine appeared all of a sudden on a small unripe maize ear. I was delighted to photograph this beauty.

29 comments:

  1. wow a lovely shot~

    I remember when I was a kid.. my sister and I enjoy playing with it... and yes helicopter hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning photo, simply wonderful!
    They are such amazing creatures - here in Poland called 'ważka'and mainly greenish or blueish.
    We also called them helicophers by rhe way:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow!!!!!!!
    this is an award winnin pic ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey!! thats a great pic!!! I too have been seeing a lot of dragonflies near my house, and have been trying to photograph them , but havent yet been able to...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like very much dragonflies and this one is looking at you, right in the eyes... Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great blog, this purticular article was quite nostalgic... I do remeber during my childhood days, the pale golden evenings where we girls and boys ran after the dragon flies....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marvellous photograph of this dragonfly to be also marvellous.
    Emotional reminiscence of childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exquisite picture! I love how it holds onto the plant. Since I live the in the desert, I don't get to see many dragonflies. I did see one briefly by the stream this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In last few days I've seen quite a number of dragonfly's shot by different bloggers and the strange thing is I've also taken one.....just wondering if we are hit by another flu....."DRAGON FLY FLU"???
    Anyways great shot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi. I have also just posted a Dragonfly on my blog yesterday... a little late in the year for them in the UK. Great shot Bhavesh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. spechless! beatuful detailes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow a butterfly! I used to catched them when i was younger. They are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. a dragonfly! Why did i say a butterfly? hehe sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I must say that you are an excellent photographer. Just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know how I missed this beauty. That is an awesome shot of the dragonfly.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 5 out of 5 :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm wordless to express my astonish here. splendid man!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a gorgeous shot. I'm finally done with my busyness and can catch up here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my!!!! Absolutely fantastic! The colors are so pretty and the dragonfly is just incredible. Beautiful Bhavesh!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this..always have been so thrilled to see them but for some reason, they have been out of my reach! [पतंगा] - Patanga..meaning dragonfly? This is so cool-

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is an impressive picture. It looks like a ballerina with wings – great!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a sharp, clear macro image!
    Thank you for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2020/08/pretty-posies.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. They are such wonderful creatures! Your image is just amazing :)


    Feel free to share at My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete