Bhangarh

Bhangarh - Wall - Single - Ruined

Read the story, and scroll down for more pictures of the ghostly Bhangarh.

As you all might know, and as mentioned by me recently on my post on Indian Myna [मैना], I went to Bhangarh, was on a tour of Rajasthan. The tour was conducted by Bharat of UnseenRajasthan.com, and it was more than satisfactory. We went to many places named Bhangarh, Chand Bawdi of Abhaneri, Bawdi of Bhandarej, Khatu Shyamji, Salasar Balaji, Jaisalmer and Jaipur. He has Real Unseen Places in Rajasthan. I'm publishing this post on Bhangarh, refreshing the memories from there. Do visit UnseenRajasthan.com, and plan your trip with him. I made a custom package, but I see that Bhangarh is available in his Rajasthan Imperial Tour. Check with him.

Come-on-in with me into the mystery of Bhangarh!

Bhangarh - Direction Board

Bhangarh has a story of black magic! It is said that this city was destroyed completely in just 1 night!! As detailed by Bharat… The king of Bhangarh had a deep crush on the princess of Ajabgarh, but the princess had no feeling for him. He was getting mad at this, and one day decided to get her at any cost. He ordered his tantrik [black magician] to do something. The tantrik prepared a magical oil that on applying would fly the person to the tantrik. The king managed to deliver the oil to the princess. The princess was no fool, and knew black magic too. She understood the game immediately, and applied the oil on a large stone. The stone flew and fell on the tantrik, and crushed him. A war was called from both the sides, and both — Bhangarh and Ajabgarh were destroyed overnight.

Bhangarh - Ruined Walls

There are a couple of similar stories for this place, but all mention that Bhangarh was destroyed overnight, and the spirits of the killed still exist there. It is believed that at night, the bangle markets of the destroyed city are crowded by the spirits. The government has restricted the entrance in the boundary of Bhangard before sunrise and after sunset.

Bhangarh - Notice by the Government That Reads…
Government of India
Indian Archeological Survey, Bhangarh
Important Instruction: (1) Entry inside Bhangarh boundry before sunrise and after sunset is prohibited.
(2) Getting livestock inside Bhangarh boundry is illegal, offenders will be prosecuted.
(3) The Kevda trees inside Bhangarh's boundry are the property of Indian Archeological Survey Department (Government of India). It is not allowed to spoil the Kevda trees in any way.
Note:- Offending the above mentioned orders will result in legal action.
By Order
Officer Archeological Knowledge
Bhangarh - Notice by the Government That Reads…
Government of India
Indian Archeological Survey, Bhangarh
Important Instruction: (1) Entry inside Bhangarh boundry before sunrise and after sunset is prohibited.
(2) Getting livestock inside Bhangarh boundry is illegal, offenders will be prosecuted.
(3) The Kevda trees inside Bhangarh's boundry are the property of Indian Archeological Survey Department (Government of India). It is not allowed to spoil the Kevda trees in any way.
Note:- Offending the above mentioned orders will result in legal action.
By Order
"Officer Archeological Knowledge"

Bhangarh - Entrance

Bhangarh - Bangle Market of Ghosts

Bhangarh - Market of Ghosts

Bhangarh - Bastion Cracks

Bhangarh - Bazaar of Ghosts

Bhangarh - Carved Pillar

Bhangarh - Carvings on Ceiling of the Temple at Entrance

Bhangarh - Carvings on Stones

Bhangarh - Carvings on Steeple, and Pigeons

Bhangarh - Carvings on Dome of the Temple at Entrance

Bhangarh - Celing Carvings

Bhangarh - Chudi Bazaar of Ghosts - Ruins

Bhangarh - Entrance Temple Steeple and Pigeons

Bhangarh - Ghost Tree

Bhangarh - Hollow Tree

Bhangarh - Khandar [Ruins]

Bhangarh - Limeklin

Bhangarh - Mountains

Bhangarh - Mountain Slopes

Bhangarh - Nandi of Shiva Temple

Bhangarh Palace

Bhangarh - Remains

Bhangarh - Ruined Ganpati Statue

Bhangarh - Ruined Statue - Carved

Bhangarh - Ruined Stone Walls

Bhangarh - Ruined Temple

Bhangarh - Ruined Wall Gate

Bhangarh - Ruins

Bhangarh - Ruins [Khandar]

Bhangarh - Shivling

Bhangarh - Skull

Bhangarh - Skull Held

Bhangarh - Tantrik Chhatri [Umbrella]

Bhangarh - Temple Architecture

Bhangarh - Temple Carvings

Bhangarh - Temple Entrance

Bhangarh - Ruined Temple and Mountains

Bhangarh - Temple Steps

Bhangarh - Temple - Stone Work

Bhangarh - Temple - View from Top

Bhangarh - Umbrella of the Black Magician

Bhangarh - Umbrella on Hilltop

Bhangarh - Visitors' Seating

Bhangarh - Watchtower

Bhangarh - Umbrella - External

70 comments:

  1. Totally fantastic!!! I am so impressed it just leaves me in awe. A great bunch of pictures and nothing like I have ever seen before!!! I can not thank you enough for sharing your world with mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a fascinating place to visit. Beautiful views, carvings, and stonework!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What incredible photos. I have had a wonderful journey to India from the comfort of my home in the San Francisco area!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just incredible! I especially love the picture of the pigeon looking into the camera, one of the few living denizens of the place!!! And the old gnarled tree looks like it is howling over the loss of the kingdoms...

    I wonder if the ghosts would be willing to coexist with a new set of living citizens? It is such a beautiful place it seems a shame it is abandoned.

    I wonder how much truth there is in the legends of the overnight destruction? Often there is quite a bit of truth in these "stories."

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful gallery of photoes! Thankyou for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow!! this was just great!! not only had I never heard of this place before, the visuals were just too good.... it looks like the places on my wish list are increasing day by day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lucy,

    A person of your age giving such complement to me is a great honor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi RNSANE,

    Thanks so much for your appreciation. I read your comment on Bharat's My Dream Came True post. I hope you visit India very soon, and have Bharat as your Tour Planner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Olde Dame Penniwig,

    The gnarled tree was horrifying, believe me. I've never seen such a tree structure in my life.

    I don't think the ghosts will be willing to coexist with new citizens if tried :) Whatever be the story, the place needs to be protected for future visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Shankar,

    My list too is increasing day by day :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. BUON NATALE

    ^_____________^

    ReplyDelete
  12. Merry Christmas to you too Pupottina :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an interesting journey to a place I would never have seen otherwise. Thanks for sharing.

    I too liked the picture of the gnarled tree, as well as the rest of your photos. In some of the pictures, I would not have wanted to have lost my footing and fallen down some of those mountainsides never to be seen again. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  14. So much history in these pictures: fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I nearly missed this very interesting post, grieved but better late than never.

    the site is marvellous and the successful photographs, my preferring is the tree which shouts.

    Bravo Bhavesh.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow so much history is told by your photos. Thanks for sharing. BTW I dropped to wish you happy holidays and a Happy New Year. Lots, lots of happiness. Also I wanted to send warm thanks for another great blogging year. Anna :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your photographic work is fantastic! An excellent text also. Amazing! Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi,
    Superb documentary! I loved it.... I'm going in holidays now and I wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy new year... See you in 2010...
    Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much Anna. Wish you Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2010 :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Chris,

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2010 to you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Bhavesh! What a lovely post! Awesome!! Bharat seems to be doing a great job...

    Time to relax with a visit to a museum? Blogtrotter is at the British and looks forward to reading your comments! Enjoy and have a great holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  22. As always great pictures! Awesome story to go with them!

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  23. you have great patience man :) Each and evry image is beautiful. I wish you a cheerful merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, truly amazing place with an intriguing story. Your photos are incredible. I love this post!

    Enjoy the holidays!!
    As new decade approaches I wish you only the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks Deepak [exposemaximum]. Wish you too Merry Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very best to you to Cheryl. Thanks for the appreciation :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Bhavesh you make me so happy with your posts. Thank you so much for taking the time to post all of these incredible pictures and for writing the story behind them. I love this, I just love this! I love learning from you and traveling with you via your fantastic photography and wonderful writing. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm highly honored Sarah because a wonderful photographer like you has written so nice about me.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is such an incredible post, loved all the pictures and the story. As you know I am fascinated by history and write as often as I can about it. Thank you for sharing this, as I said I really enjoyed the time and effort you spent on this post. Hope you had a very nice Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  30. amazing photos and i liked the story

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is really stunning... The story is also quite interesting... This looks like a city of ruins....

    ReplyDelete
  32. What impressive pictures and an impressive story too. Could the buildings have been hurt by an earthquake? I loved the picture of the gnarled tree. This is a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  33. have read this the same day on google reader...was not able to comment -- page was not properly uploading a few times...anyway, great photos and story, Bhavesh :)

    Also, Wish you and family a Very Happy New Year :)

    wishes,
    devika

    ReplyDelete
  34. Bhavesh: This is one of the most interesting blog posts I've EVER seen!

    Thank you for sharing the grandeur of your part of the world with us.

    I have never seen such architecture; and the tale will remain with me always.

    Very Well Done, my Friend!

    Namaste!

    Aloha, Friend!


    Comfort Spiral

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm happy that you liked the post Cloudia :)

    Village Life

    ReplyDelete
  36. Fantastic snaps. A must see place.

    ReplyDelete
  37. the cities destroyed for love...how romantic!...amazing photos!...very happy you visited my photoblog...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Madhuri shekhawat, jaipur28 December, 2010

    awesome pictures! i liked the wizard's abode on the hill top.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi Bhavesh...it was nice going through the entire article...i can see the effort put in for drafting such an informative article..bhangarh is mostly a mystery and over touted fort...i also had trouble with the indentation of the text...its right aligned in my browser...see if you can fix it...and btw..impressive photographs..

    Keep Traveling and writing
    Vishnu

    ReplyDelete
  40. Nice work Bhavesh. I am planning to visit Bhangarh on my next trip to India. The place seems exciting and very picturesque. Thanks alot for these pictures. They make the place come alive.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Anonymous04 June, 2011

    Can we explore bhangarh in night?

    ReplyDelete
  42. @ Anonymous: Government doesn't allow it. But probably, people might be doing it unofficially!

    ReplyDelete
  43. @ Anonymous: JSK [Jay Shree Krishna] :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hi bhavesh..
    The first word which came from my mouth after watching these pics is "FANTASTIC". Now i will definitely visit at this haunted place.

    ReplyDelete
  45. @ Anonymous: I'm glad you liked :) Do contact Mr Bharat at UnseenRajasthan.com to make your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  46. really nice pics, bhavesh....
    i mean i'm spellbound by your wonderful photography
    and also i have a feedback for you, i've heard a lot about the haunted stories of this place, can u please write more about the reality behind this place i mean did u feel scared or somthin'....??
    just let me know whats with haunted thing really!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your nice words!

      Frankly, I did not feel any haunt. Yes, I did found a skull of a cattle, but that was not scary; see my photo above holding it. It must be a tiger or a leopard if we think practical.

      Delete
  47. THE PHOTOGRAPHS ARE BEAUTIFUL. ANY ONE WILL FACINATE BY THE PICTURE POST. EVEN IT IS KNOWN AS HAUNTED PLACE, WITH YOUR PHOTOS EVERY ONE WILL VISIT. GOOD...KEEP GOING...THANK YOU

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hi... I visited Bhangarh recently and spent whole night there. I saw nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  49. just loved all ur pictures

    ReplyDelete
  50. Awesome pictures :). Wonder what happens after sunset...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess, the best answer to that is to really stay there after sunset. It must be a fearfully chilling yet beautiful experience.

      Delete
  51. loved yr snaps will 100% explore it at ni

    ReplyDelete
  52. Fantastic Photos, loved to be there, Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  53. WOW!

    What a fascinating place to visit!

    Incredible photos, BTW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bhavesh, this is an amazing post - mind-blowing! So glad you took us on tour with you and shared at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2020/10/snow-in-september.html.
      By the way, that tree in the middle of your post is fascinating, isn't it?

      Delete
    2. My pleasure dear! 😊

      That tree fascinated me too! It looks like a moving creature, and not a non-moving tree!

      Everything at Bhangarh is just amazing!

      Delete