Gulmohar

From my childhood, Gulmohar has remained in my top favorite. Gulmohar is a prominent flowering tree in India. It blooms in different times of summer depending on its sub-species. The bright red flowers create beautiful natural carpets. At some places, I have seen uncountable trees of Gulmohar that create scenes that put heaven on display, just that the temperature becomes unbearable sometimes in the afternoon.

Gulmohar

A few days back, we went to a famous location of Pune, named Parvati. The bloom of Gulmohar on the hill was stunning. We kept looking at it with amazement for a real long time!

Gulmohar

Structurally, there are bunches of flowers on each branch. Did you note that each bunch has an odd white flower? Or is it a petal? I have been enjoying Gulmohar from my childhood, but did not ever notice any such thing until I saw the top view that day.

Gulmohar

When I was a kid, we used to eat Gulmohar petals. The taste is bitter-sour, and tempting. I know some might be wondering how that taste can be tempting. But it's nature; one same taste can have varying temptations with varying items. You have to eat a Gulmohar petal to know what I mean :)

Gulmohar

20 comments:

  1. Gulmohar has never looked as beautiful. Lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Neha: I'm happy that you liked the photographs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, if/when I finally get to make that trip to India, I'll taste one of the petals.

    The pictures are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ RNSANE: I'm sure you will like the new taste for you. And I'm happy that you liked the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a Gulmohar tree long long agao at my home. It fell off in a storm!!! :( :( :(
    Kidswear at Fashion Panache
    Dakshina Chitra Part I

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Mitr Friend - Bhushavali: That's so sad :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Try the white colored petal... it tastes so much more delicious than other red petals...!!In childhood we used to have fight for that single petal/..!! we called it as raja/rani(king/queen)..!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh great! You have made me recall my similar memories too — the raja-rani petals. I will definitely try the white one; the season is here :) Thank you very much Jay!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful images indeed! I have a huge Gulmohar fetish as well, since childhood. :) Everywhere i go, i look for this tree during summer. Your pictures here have inspired me to click them too, henceforth!

    Best Wishes,
    Sharayu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I see that the inspiration has worked on your camera. Nice shots at your post as well!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the encouragement. :) I'll keep clicking!

      Delete
    3. My pleasure :) Come back to inform me when you photograph more.

      Delete
    4. Yes. I will. Thanks. :)

      Delete
  9. Hi, Mr. Chhatbar. I got some fresh pictures of Gulmohar. Have put them up in a new post. Thank you incredibly for giving me the confidence to exhibit them on the blog. :)

    Regards,
    Sharayu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharayu,

      I just saw the photos; they are awesome :)

      Regards,
      Bhavesh

      Delete
    2. Thank you Mr. Chhatbar. :)

      Delete
    3. beautiful, even i liked and love this tree. it is beautiful. and also tase good.

      Delete
  10. Why is one petal of gulmohar white?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea! Perhaps to attract pollinators!!

      Delete